Friday, September 7, 2012

Hight, heiti, háte, heisse

 "'What are your names?'
Rolf answered: 'Rolf hight I.'"
-Allen French, The Story of Rolf and the Viking Bow.

Rolf is a fictional young man living in 11th century Iceland. I have long loved this book, and today I came upon the word "hight" while researching related topics. Though its meaning was obvious, it always intrigued me:

"Hight" is an English verb meaning "to call/name," and "to be called/named." It is an archaic term, meaning it is no longer in general use, but people understand it when found in written text.
Sources:
"Hight" in Wiktionary,
"Archaic" in Wiktionary

This word, not surprisingly, sounds remarkably similar to these phrases meaning "my name is":

Icelandic:
ég heiti...
(yerch* hey-te) *ch as in Loch.

Old English:
íċ háte...
(eech ha*-te) *long a, as in "father."

German: Ich heisse...
(eesh/eek high-se)



No comments:

Post a Comment