Saturday, January 18, 2014

Dr. Watson Quotes

~A compilation of my favorite quotes by or about Dr. Watson.~

One of my favorite moments from the Sherlock Holmes canon is when Watson carries his point of accompanying Holmes despite the danger he ran. In The Final Problem, Holmes advises Watson to return to England while he endeavors to elude Professor Moriarty, who now seeks his life, alone.

Watson wrote, "It was hardly an appeal to be successful with one who was an old campaigner as well as an old friend. We sat in the Strasburg salle-à-manger arguing the question for half an hour, but the same night we had resumed out journey and were well on our way to Geneva." (The Final Problem, page 734)

This quote not only shows Watson's tenacious loyalty and bravery, but also his strong will, for he won the argument and they continued the journey together.

 When Watson recognizes Holmes after he thought Holmes was dead for some years: "I rose to my feet, stared at him for some seconds in utter amazement, and then it appears that I must have fainted for the first and last time in my life." (The Adventure of the Empty House, 789)

By Sidney Paget
Watson's quip: "I don't admit that a fresh illustration is an explanation." He had requested Holmes to explain how he came a conclusion and Holmes began to explain by starting with an example. Holmes replied to Watson's quip, "Bravo Watson! A very dignified and logical remonstrance." (The Disappearance of Lady Carfax, 1363)

Some of my favorite quotes about or to Watson, spoken by Holmes:

"There is no prospect of danger, or I should not dream of stirring without you." (The Adventure of the Norwood Builder, 843)

"And a singularly consistent investigation you have made, my dear Watson....I cannot at the moment recall any possible blunder which you have omitted." (The Disappearance of Lady Carfax, 1371). Oh, poor Watson, it seems a bit undeserved too. 

"The ideas of my friend Watson, though limited are exceedingly pertinacious."  (The Adventure of the Blanched Soldier, page 1483)

"I am getting into your involved habit of telling a story backward."  (The Problem of Thor Bridge, page 1605) 

'"Cut out the poetry, Watson," said Holmes severely. "I note that it was a high brick wall."' After Watson gives a soulful description of a wall. (The Adventure of the Retired Colourman, 1734)

"Good Old Watson! You are the one fixed point in a changing age." (His Last Bow, 1433)

Source:
The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes, vol. 1 & 2, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Edited by Leslie S. Klinger. W. W. Norton & Company. New York: 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment