Sunday, June 30, 2013

The Voice of Smaug

It whispers, it purrs, and its deep tones are laced with power and cunning. It is the voice of Khan.

Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan
All along, I couldn't see why Benedict Cumberbatch had been chosen as the voice of Smaug, the terrible dragon from The Hobbit. I figured he would do fine, but I couldn't picture it, it wasn't an obvious choice to me. I had seen him in BBC's Sherlock (just two episodes), but nothing about his voice struck me as particularly dragonish. Yesterday, I saw Star Trek, Into Darkness at a theater. In this film, Cumberbatch plays Khan, the very confusing enemy of Starfleet.

As I heard him speaking, I realized that his voice was perfect for Smaug!

I am now very excited for a captivating performance in the The Hobbit film trilogy. I know that Cumberbatch has the voice, I just hope the directors have him use it.




The photo is from the official website and then cropped by me:
Star Trek Official Website Gallery

No comments:

Post a Comment